Thursday, June 5, 2008

Lifestyle change

A while ago I decided that things weren't going well. I was overweight and pretty unhealthy.

My sister and parents were pushing me towards to a low GI diet. Diets however are not something I believe in or want to deal with. The resolution to this was to make a lifestyle change.

A lifestyle change is more encompassing. For a start I not only decided to change what I was eating but also to increase my physical activity. As I have previously only enjoyed doing weight training as a form of exercise, this was an obvious choice to me. A single change would have been insufficient and so I incorporated some of the basic low GI principles within the program I decided upon.

After this time, I have trimmed down nicely and improved my physical ability as well as my overall health. Of the things I can attribute to leading to the biggest success, its being committed to reaching a goal and making a note of what I was doing in order to get there.


I'd say that writing down what you do and have done is the greatest motivator in keeping to the plan. There were some periods when I skipped writing down what I had eaten (although still recording the exercise routine) and in those periods I had the most trouble in keeping up with the overall plan and had the least progress towards the final objective.

No comments: